With millions of Canadians relying on insurance to cover their medications, affordability and availability of quality drug therapies is key. That’s why TELUS Health established the National Formulary – an evolving list of prescription drugs that qualify for insurance coverage – to ensure coverage and accessibility to safe, cost-effective and quality drug therapies.
An efficient National Formulary designed to:
- Provide a credible process for developing and maintaining a list of eligible drugs
- Provide uniform drug benefit coverage across the country
- Encourage physicians and consumers to be more accountable for their drug therapies
- Ensure health outcomes are not compromised
- Improve the cost management of your drug plans
As soon as a new drug is released in Canada or more information on an existing drug becomes available, the medications are reviewed and evaluated based on their safety and efficacy, with cost considerations also taken into account. Those that are deemed to be most medically beneficial while still maintaining a reasonable cost are covered and added to the National Formulary.
Overseen by the TELUS Health Drug Review – External Committee (DREC), composed of a team of pharmacists at TELUS Health with clinical and industry expertise, the National Formulary is reviewed and updated 10 times a year using evidence based information.